- Avoid chewing (other than soft foods) for 3-4 days.
- Use Hot/Cold gel packs, heated, 4 times per day for a minimum of 10 minutes each session, for 3-4 days.
- Use an over the counter anti-inflammatory medication such as (Motrin, Advil, Aleve, etc.) 3 times per day for 5 days. Use Tylenol if you are prone to GI irritations.
- Your doctor may prescribe an anti-inflammatory medication as an alternative to over-the-counter medications.
- Gently message area frequently during the day.
Follow up Preventative Care
- Chew evenly on both sides of the mouth.
- Chew soft foods on the same side as the discomfort.
- Avoid opening your mouth too widely and suppress yawns to prevent stretching of the joint capsule.
- A dental appliance may be recommended for long term preventative care.