What Is A Tonsillectomy?
Tonsillectomy is a surgical procedure performed to remove the tonsils. Tonsils are masses of lymphoid tissue located on either side of the mouth cavity, behind the tongue.
When the tonsils are infected, they become enlarged and are a breeding ground for bacteria. This condition is called tonsillitis. When tonsils are repeatedly infected, it may mean that they should be removed.
What Are The Symptoms Of Problem Tonsils?
- Recurrent or chronic sore throat
- Bad breath
- Difficulty swallowing or breathing
- Sleep apnea
- Speech impediment
What Can Surgery Accomplish?
- Relieve sore throat and bad breath
- Open airway to improve breathing and relieve snoring and apnea
- Improve speech
What Does Surgery Entail?
- General anesthesia is preferred
- Tonsils are removed
- Adenoids frequently are removed at the same time