As we age, it is common to experience some hearing loss. But what should you do when you notice you are not hearing as well as you once did? With help from your Springfield, MA ear, nose and throat doctors at Ear, Nose and Throat Surgeons of Western New England, you can be prepared for hearing loss and find the best treatment option for you.
How do I know I am experiencing hearing loss?
While it may be obvious to some people, hearing loss can begin with small experiences that may not connect to hearing loss at first. If you answer yes to these questions, you may have hearing loss.
- Do you feel like people are mumbling more often than not?
- Do you have difficulty hearing or understanding what is being said, especially in noisy situations like restaurants or events?
- Do you feel you are concentrating harder to understand what is being said?
- Do the people around you tell you that your TV or radio is too loud, but you cannot hear it otherwise?
- Do you find it hard to hear what people on the other end of the telephone are saying?
- Do you often find yourself asking people to repeat things so you can hear them properly?
How is hearing loss treated?
Hearing aids, which amplify the sound that enters your ears, are the most common treatment for hearing loss. With many kinds to choose from, your doctor can help you find the hearing aid that works best for you. In severe cases of hearing loss, surgically placed hearing aids placed deeper inside the ear can improve your hearing. In cases of complete deafness, cochlear implant may be beneficial. The implant bypasses the ear’s sound receptors and sends sound signals directly to the brain.
What should I do if I experience hearing loss?
It is important to acknowledge that you are experiencing hearing loss. Talking with family and friends to make them aware of your situation is helpful so they can provide you with support and help you, should you need it. See your doctor and make them aware of your hearing loss. Your doctor can help you schedule a hearing test to diagnose your hearing loss. They can also provide you with treatment options if necessary.
For more information on hearing loss, please contact Ear, Nose and Throat Surgeons of Western New England in Springfield, MA. Call 413-732-7426 to schedule your appointment today.